Friday, August 9, 2013

Computers - Can't live with them, Can't live without them ...

Having just gone through a blight on my main computer and Wifi problems on my laptop, I can tell you that living without computer access is both a curse and a blessing. Not being 'connected' sets off  this panic within you that you won't be able to meet deadlines and expectations that surround your life. Writing for DiscussionStation.com had to be put on hold as much as I love doing that. I tried to only do essential email and the things I knew I had to do. Trying to print off a copy of my next chapter in the new book was a four hour ordeal. At the moment I don't even have a way to print. It is terribly frustrating to know you don't even have Skype access which is how I keep connected with many of my friends. Not to mention that I use my computer for research and keeping track of my accounts and bills. I kept thinking as I was reading or out and about - "Oh, I will look that up." or "I wonder if I can get that cheaper somewhere else?" But I had no way to research any of that. Having limited to no computer access really puts your life on hold.

Yes, that's right, having no computer access puts your life on hold and that turns out to be a blessing in a different way. Let me explain. Since I knew I couldn't jump online, I had to fill my time somehow. So I opted to read, or to sit in a chair and think, or even to watch a favorite TV show without the urgent feeling that I wasn't doing something productive on my computer! It was actually pleasant to sit outside and hear the birds sing and watch the flowers enjoy being watered. I could do all that without that constant feeling of guilt that I should be doing something very important on the internet. Being without the internet gave me a reprieve from all the activities that I thought I should be doing to fill my life. It was a pleasant interlude.

But in the long run - I have to confess - I think I really do enjoy being 'wired' and 'plugged  in' to the world around me! I am anxiously awaiting my new monitor so that I can get back to doing work on my desktop. Hopefully the printer problem will be solved soon. My WiFi is actually working now so I now can at least work on my laptop. Life is almost back to where I can feel I am able to work effectively again. I would love to hear from any of you that have had similar problems and how you managed to get through it! Just leave a comment below!    

2 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff with wonderful information! I'm new here and loving the post! Thanks for sharing this great info! mcx tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Bhoomi Desai,
    Glad you like my old web site, For new information visit my author's web site: mstaightwriter.com

    ReplyDelete