Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Jumping in Feet First

Sometimes I feel like this task I have taken on -- of getting a book published -- is foolish and just too big. However I think about people I admire and know that they didn't get to where they are just by sitting on the sidelines and waiting for the action to come to them. They jumped in feet first. Now this is important - that they went feet first. They didn't dive in head first because as anyone in the medical field will tell you, that's risking breaking your neck. When you dive in head first you don't use your head other than as a battering ram and the water maybe a whole lot more shallow than you thought.

When you jump in feet first you are taking the plunge with some foresight. You are able to test the depth and temperature of the water, but at the same you have gotten yourself wet! You are half way to to figuring out what your next move will be. Sometimes it is just moving forward that is called for and other times it is paddling like crazy to keep yourself afloat.  Right now I think I am making slow progress for the promised land, but goodness there is a long way to go!

I want to thank all those of you that have read the first draft of  'The Peacocks Tale'. Your comments have helped to buoy me up and keep me going. It's like a life preserver when someone says, " I really, really liked the story."  It seems unexpected to me to hear this, as I love my own story, but for others to appreciate it ... well that is sweet.  I also am appreciative of those that have given me lots of feedback as their suggestions act like targets to dive for - sometimes clearing up the muddy waters and at other times taking me down to an unexpected depth. Thanks all! Your comments are appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment